HOW TO FRAME A BULLETIN BOARD
Here's how it all started...
I purchased this board from a thrift store for only 7 bucks! HomeGoods sells the board on the right for $39.99. It's a great price, but not big enough. So I said to myself, "Self, you can do this. There are tons of instructions on the web, just pick one." I referred to Camila's post which is excellent especially if you are handy with the power tools. I, on the other hand, am a complete amateur when it comes to this stuff.
I decided to "wing" it. After spending almost 45 minutes trying to help the associate cut my trim at a 45 degree angle "freehand" I left pretty frustrated with only the trim. Refusing to accept defeat, I consulted a fellow craft queen on the next step. She mentioned something about a mitre box and saw. The clouds above opened up...an answered prayer!! I headed to the store, this time Lowes (closer to home), for a mitre box and saw and a few other supplies...
I carefully cut each piece using my mitre saw and nailed them to the existing frame with finishing nails. When the frame was in place, the edges looked like this. Not to worry...if this happens to you, then use wood filler to fill the gaps. When it dries sand it smooth.
After repairing and sanding, I wiped the frame with a baby wipe and allowed it to dry for about 5 minutes. I painted the frame with two coats of black satin paint allowing about 2 hours between coats. This stuff dried fast! There was no need to apply primer before painting . The trim pieces I purchased were already primed!
The next day my new bulletin board was ready to hang.
I'm so glad I stayed the course and did not give up! Plus, I would've hated to disappoint you all! Only after I finished this project did I find an awesome video for framing a bulletin board on the Canadian House and Home website. They had the wallpapered magazine files tutorial, too!! Those guys sure know how to make everything look easy.
Have you been at your wit's end with DIY project? What was/is it? Did you complete it?
15 comments:
- The Budget Brides Handbook said...
-
OMG Erika you are amazing. I have been looking for a cheaper opyion for less than the prices at Home Goods or Marshalls. I think I may have to make a run to Home Depot. Thanks Lady!!
-
April 21, 2010 at 8:23 AM
- Tonia Lee Smith said...
-
Erika, did you see my post on my living room storage? That room is full of DIYs that were started and not completed, but I'm about done clearing out the living room and have finished a few of the DIYs and makeovers.
-
April 21, 2010 at 8:26 AM
- Erika Ward said...
-
Tonia, I do remember that living room post. It looked like you were holding an estate sale in there! I hope you will share with us some of your work ;-)
-
April 21, 2010 at 8:33 AM
- My Agent Angela said...
-
Girl when are we going to get the DIY book.....
-
April 21, 2010 at 8:34 AM
- Sharon Brown said...
-
Thanks for the tutorial!
Sharon -
April 21, 2010 at 8:41 AM
- LifestyleBohemia said...
-
It's like you read my mind! I am finishing up the renovation of my home and am accessorizing my home office. I bought cork board yesterday and am looking for a funky frame for it.
Thanks for these instructions & for sharing your project - I will def use it as my guide.
Have a great day!
xx -
April 21, 2010 at 8:50 AM
- Tristana Harvey said...
-
I'll have to look for these tools at my local HD and Lowes. This sounds like a great weekend project.
-
April 21, 2010 at 9:52 AM
- Sarah La Rose said...
-
YEAH!!! Fantastic job! I think i would have had the exact same experience as you if I had tried this first. I will be sure to refer to this post when I try it out myself later in the year. :)
Have a fantastic day!! -
April 21, 2010 at 10:30 AM
- Unknown said...
-
Turned out great! I love the miter saw boxes for small projects. The size and color you painted yuor molding look great!
-
April 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM
- L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...
-
LOVES IT!!! zthsnkd for the mention;) you know I got you!
-
April 21, 2010 at 5:28 PM
- L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...
-
See, that's what happens when your'e fussing at kids...
THANKS for the mention! -
April 21, 2010 at 5:30 PM
- ###### said...
-
girl looks good...see my tail would have just left it..and bought the dang thing...good for you!
-
April 21, 2010 at 11:05 PM
- Jonesie said...
-
I swear your posts come right on time, I was thinking of doing this exact same project but couldn't think of how to start so know that I know I guess I have no excuse now huh lol...thanks and great post
-
April 22, 2010 at 4:17 AM
- Deepali Kalia Interior Design Blog Filling Spaces said...
-
nice! Great idea just made one for my space
have a lovely weekend -
April 30, 2010 at 7:01 PM
- High-Heeled Foot in the door said...
-
It looks great!
Sorry I couldn't be with you at the home improvement store to help you out!
I swear without Jon none of my visions would come true! So I would have done the same thing as you in the store!
Bravo! I love it!!! -
June 21, 2010 at 11:21 AM



