Quantcast

DECORATOR DILEMMA SOLVED.


Early Saturday morning (2:00AM to be exact) I just couldn't sleep. I was up rearranging furniture, pictures, etc. in my office and didn't return to bed until 7:00AM. I spend 5 hours trying to figure out why the space doesn't feel right to me.  My husband (God bless him) has the patience of a Saint. After breakfast I sat him down and explained the madness going on in my head. Our conversation went something like this:

Him: So what exactly is the problem? I thought everything looked great...Wait a minute, did you just remove the fabric from all the chairs.

Me: Yes, I did. I needed a clean slate. I like so many styles, I just can't figure out what I really want.

Him: What did you have in mind when you got started? 

Me: Something like this. (I show him Exhibit A, below)



Him: Hmm, I like this. Well, looks like... (I interrupt him)

Me: And this too! (I show him Exhibit B from a previous post)


Him: I like this one even more. Well looks like you need to paint and get your sofa (my settee) recovered.

Me: (with gritted teeth) I know.

In an interview with House Beautiful Magazine Suzanne Kasler gives this advice regarding redecorating a room, "Be true to what you love. That's really they key to creating a space that feels personal. Buy things that you like and don't worry about whether or not they match...somehow, if these are all things you love, they will just naturally come together and complete a certain feeling. And that will express you and your style."

Note to self:  Get what you want even if it means saving more money first or shopping a bit longer to get the look you desire.  

I knew all along that I needed to paint, but I didn't want to deal with the high ceilings.  I knew the "new" settee needed to be reupholstered, but I didn't want to pay the money to have it done. Well, I'm not spending another sleepless night on this office nor whining about it on this blog.  I'm calling my painter and gathering estimates for the settee in the morning. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.
Comments
18 Comments

18 comments:

Kerry said...

I can see why you had a sleepless night...they're both really lovely rooms. Sounds like really good advice though..can't wait to see what you achieve now that you know exactly what you want. Sleep tight tonight!

Anonymous said...

Great idea. I struggle with this too. Trying to make due with what I own. I will continue to do that because I like to be thrifty when I decorate, but sometimes you just have to lay the cash out for what you really want. Good luck! Can't wait to see the results!

~Rachel~

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Girl! I can relate to this so much. That's the bad thing about going to thrift shops all of the time. my home is filled with things that I love because of the prices and not LOVE because the item.

I love both inspiration photos for the office. I know that it's going to turn out great!

Sarah La Rose said...

You're too cute! I can't believe you spend 2am-7am rearranging your office. I'm glad you have finally come to a conculusion and know what you need to do. Enjoy the process! I can't wait to see the results.

Tonia Lee Smith said...

That's what I always say, get what you want...even if you have to have empty rooms. GET WHAT YOU WANT or you will constantly be changing...and I have empty rooms, that's how my living room became my storage. LOL

Sanity Fair said...

This made me laugh. I have completely had my spirit broken by an unpainted wall at an unearthly hour. It takes desperation sometimes. But the results are worth it - you'll be so happy!
P.S. Love the "gilt" frame you did below!!! What an awesome idea!

keely @ luxe + lillies said...

I hate that you had to be up all night, but I am also glad to hear that I'm not the only one suffering from creative insanity! Isn't it great to have a supportive guy?! I know that whatever you do will be absolutely stunning!

Tristana said...

I can understand your frustration. I'm doing the same thing with my counseling office. Have everything I want but can't quite get the feeling I want. Looking forward to seeing your new layout.

Tristana

Dayka Robinson said...

i totally agree with suzanne's sentiment. there are some things i buy when i'm on the fence, and other things i know i love,and even though i don't know what to do with them right now, i'm just saving them for the right time & place (and fabric and hardware!). your husband is right, and i think you'll really love it in the end.

thank you for your comment, & good luck!

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

These are such great recommendations. I can completely relate to certain parts of this post!

By the way, I like your inspiration pictures!

Kelly

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Buy what you absolutley love and you'll find a place for it. I can't believe you were basically up all night, that is a case of not being happy with a space! Sounds like you are on the right track now, so sleep tight! Janell

Heather said...

sometimes it's difficult for us perfectionists!! ha ha ha, i'm totally with you on this feeling of having the RIGHT piece or look...we have to go with our gut, even if it means waiting a while until we can get what we want! great post! Good luck with your estimates.

Marija said...

I have spent many a night like this! Sounds like you are approaching this space with the best possible attitude! Love it! Excited to see where this takes you - gathering estimates is the part I dread most :)

Marija

ashlina {the decorista} said...

haha....every decorista can relate to this! thats what i love about you, you spread the truth.
hope you had an amazing easter weekend hunny bunny.

ps. i was hanging with some bloggers this weekend + we were talking about your talent. just so ya know.
xoxo

charm home said...

Oh the joys of being a designer...and trying to design your own space when you love so many different styles. I run into the same problem that you are having with your office all too often with my own home. Hopefully your delima is solved now that you'll be painting and recovering your settee. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Thanks for your kind words on the nursery I just designed.

xo,
Cristi

LindsB said...

I LOVE that first room- its beautiful!!

Dreams of Perfection said...

I am darn glad I am not the only one having sleepless nights about these things!

Unknown said...

I hear you! I prefer to wait and save instead of impluse buying just because the price is right...

The settee is going to be perfect and exactly your vision once its done!

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin