Quantcast

INTERIOR/EXTERIOR DECORATING.


Recently, I made a house call to a potential client who lives in a house similar to this one.


She and her family recently moved here from a much larger home and is looking to decorate using her existing furnishings as well as a few new pieces.

When decorating your home I believe the interior decor should reflect the character of the exterior.  With that said, which room would you expect to see in the home pictured above?

 If you chose the image labeled "C," then I would agree. Most homes built like this one are located in heavily wooded areas and sometimes sit on lakefront property.  Usually parquet floors can be found in the foyer, heavy wood cabinetry in the kitchen, vaulted cedar ceilings and a stone fireplace in the family room, skylights throughout, and sometimes a loft overlooking the family room.

Unless you are planning a complete renovation both inside and out, I would recommend going with a rustic style decor based on the existing architectural elements.  Instead of fighting what's already in place, try creating a continuous and harmonious relationship between the home's interior and exterior.  Even if a rustic decor is not your preference, you can still achieve a look you will love. Here are a few examples of how to combine rustic decor with other decorating styles.


Do you agree that the home's interior should reflect the character of the exterior? If so, which decor combination which would you select? If not one of these, what would you do?

{image credits: house beautiful, kelly hoppen, the iron bed, david jimenez, sarah richardson design}
Comments
18 Comments

18 comments:

TSL said...

Rustic Modern, Bohemian, Classic my choices for this home. Should be fun and I am excited about the process for everyone!
Yes, I agree, however I once went to a little town in Alabama and had the most surprising shock! I entered this little cottage not in the faciest neighborhood, a little disheveled exterior, and once I stepped inside I was totally blown away! The interior was magnificent, and the decorating amazingly chic! We later coined it the Secret House, because the owner was an amazing decorator and emphasis was not on great curb appeal but rather the interior. The owner said no one would have a clue what the interior held, and she doubted she would ever be robbed! And she wasn't, but she lived quite happily and grandly in that cottage!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Yes there should definietly be a connection, but it doesn't have to be taken to the extreme where you limit your options. Love your rustic and classic example! Janell

The Budget Brides Handbook said...

I picked choice C yayy for me. I would go with rustic classic or rustic bohemian. My pop of color for both would be fuschia though. Nice Post.

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Love the rustic and southwestern look! So what is your client going to choose?!!!

DesignTies said...

I do think the interior and exterior of a house should relate to each other. Although that being said, the exterior of our house has a bit of an Italian flair, which we haven't repeated inside. It's just totally not our style. We've gone with a sort of modern-meets-traditional style overall, with some Hollywood glam tossed in :-)

I agree that a rustic interior would work well in this style of house. I could see Option A working there too. I love your examples of Rustic & Bohemian and Rustic & Coastal best :-)

Kelly

Punctuation Mark said...

definitely rustic can beautiful if done correctly... have a great day!

Divamom-Act II said...

The pops of color in Rustic/Southwestern are great, but Rustic/Classic is the look.

keely @ luxe + lillies said...

Gorgeous images. I have always thought a square dining table is the way to go... its a wonderful way to engage every person at the table. And Kelly Hoppen's living room, to die for! That is my dream living space!

Christina Elaine said...

Love the pink wall.....
just found your blog following now......

xxxx
ceo

ashlina {the decorista} said...

wow. rustic and classic are def my new fave. i had no idea how much i would love that look until i saw this blog post.
great job my sweet.
xo

MFAMB said...

mostly i do...the house you are talking about (i know those types well) i think is one of those houses that needs to upgrade to a modern vibe. i vote rustic modern.

Sarah Ring said...

Ooh! Rustic Classic gets my vote - how lovely!

40 Means Free said...

Erika Ward, you are one classy lady! Thank you so much for this post! After you left my house, I was so inspired to embrace the house in general. Now, I can't say that I see what you see, but you gave me HOPE & PEACE...that there's light at the end of this creative tunnel! And I love Picture C as well! It reminds me of ...what I call "THE ETHAN ALLEN" look! Just clean and crisp! I also love the Rustic & Southwestern! But the Rustic & Coastal is my ABSOLUTE favorite! But now I'm eager to see & here more about "Rustic & Modern?" Because I still feel like this house is so out dated on the outside. I actually thought about switching to Siding....Hey you Home Decor BLOGGERS have become a deadly weapon for an amateur like me! I actual own a "Paint Deck!" Jealous Much!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

these images make me swoon. I think that last one would be a big hit up here in the Cape.

Debbie@Vintage Scout Interiors said...

I kind of thought of the exterior of that house as being a little contemporary- so I leaned toward a version of picture A. I do agree though, that if that were a lake front or mountain home, picture C would be the way to go. How about a little face lift for the exterior as well? Something about that diagonal siding screams "dated" to me.

Heather said...

I live in a house bulit in 1763! So, it's pretty rustic....but, I LOVE modern and classic/glamorous decor, so I am always trying to mix those elements in, we recently redid the floors in a deep ebony, (it's always a work in progress)...so i will say my favorite pics are...rustic coastal,classic and modern.
Good luck with your new project!

Redesign Diva said...

OOh I got c right! yay! I never thought of coordinating the outsie with the inside. Erika, Love it!

Oh lawd! My house is rustic, country, and bohemian, Can you say hot mess???

No wonder I struggle with my living room. I love rustic by the ocean...great post!

Black Faced Sheep said...

My favorite are probably the bohemian rustic (even though I sort of hate that wicker chair that's pictured)and the coastal rustic. I don't think that rustic needs to be as dark as most people often see it. I like light and open when it comes to any style-- but especially with rustic design and decor.

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin