Quantcast

Spring 2010 - Oceanic Interpretations + Understated Elegance


Christian Siriano's Spring 2010 collection was my all time favorite from New York Fashion Week back in September.  The inspiration for this line came from the notion of Mediterranean travel and rich coastal sunsets as seen from a yacht.  This living room, featured in House Beautiful and designed by Tobi Fairley, has an understated elegance characterized by its sophisticated layers of pale blue tones and use of lush textiles.



Sumptuous spaces are created through the use of metallic finishes in furnishings and fabrics.  These finishes shimmer and sparkle and give the appearance of luxury and opulence.  Both ensembles have reflective qualities that really turn up the glam factor.  In this bedroom also designed by Tobi Fairley, the sunburst wall decor as well as the mirrored furniture pay homage to old Hollywood glamour while this Siriano design features a shiny silk blouse paired with a metallic short and topped with a distressed sun hat...so elegant and yet so unpretentious.

Turquoise, Pantone's color of the year, it making a statement in both residential and commercial spaces, but what I'm loving right now is this turquoise empire chandelier.


There is even a less expensive version at Pottery Barn Teen.  It's definitely cute enough to make a style statement in a teen's room, but not in a dining space.
1. Turquoise Empire Chandelier, Marjorie Skouras Design  2. Glass Bead Chandelier, Pottery Barn Teen 
3. Catalonia Small Chandelier, Shine by S.H.O

Lastly, here's a refreshing color palette using Sea Glass and two of the Pantone forecast colors, Tomato Puree and Dried Herb. Using Sea Glass in lieu of Turquoise escapes the retro look and arrives to one that is more meditative and calming.  Tomato Puree replaces classic red and Dried Herb is said to be "the ultimate green neutral pairing well with all other colors."



Do you find inspiration from the ocean and sea? How has the ocean found its way into your decor? What is your idea of Understated Elegance? Are you enjoying these posts as much as I am?
Comments
15 Comments

15 comments:

Destination Seaborn said...

Gurl, you know I enjoy these posts! I just bought the latest {blue edition} of House Beautiful and skimmed right over this this living room. Thanks for breaking it down!
I LOVE your Farley and Siriano examples. I didn't know {or understand} how much home decor is influenced by runway fashions.
I love the ocean! It's the inspiration for most of my color and textures choices in my house.
Have a great day!

Lisa

(JIN) Love, Loss & Lacquer said...

Thank you so much for posting this. My husband and I have been searching for a way to incorporate ocean influence in our den area without it looking too literal and cheesy, lol - this is certainly a chic approach. I'm very inspired right now :)

Haven and Home said...

Absolutely beautiful post, this makes me feel like maybe the ocean isn't that far away!

Dayka Robinson said...

Saw that empire chandelier in white at the market this weekend!

Kelly@ColorSizzle said...

This is a beautiful post, Erika. You are doing such a great job with your blog. All of the attention to detail really shows and is appreciated!

Kelly

Dreams of Perfection said...

I love anything Tobi Fairley does! ANYTHING! I love the clothes too. I can't believe how you put these images together seamlessly.

Unknown said...

Great post. Love those colors. I met Tobi in High point this last fall. She is very gracious and sweet.

Unknown said...

I love the aray of differant hued blues so pretty

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Loving this blue! And yes, we did see a similar chandelier at the Antique market on sunday!

Jenna @ Mi Vida Bonita said...

You show it off so well! Lovely interiors. What pretty chandeliers! They make such a statment in the ever popular turquoise!

Punctuation Mark said...

Great post... those colors are so refreshing and the outfits actually do look a lot like the interiors...

LindsB said...

Tobi Fairley can do no wrong, she is so good at what she does!

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

What a FANTASTIC post!!!! The colors are great (obviously), but I just love how you point specific things out. It makes me appreciate the rooms and fashion that much more! Love all those turquoise chandeliers! I need one so bad! :)

Redesign Diva said...

Funny thing I saw the Chandy's in Home accents mag and am itching to try and make that turquoise beaded one..just itchin

Tobi Fairley said...

Erika,
Thank you for this stunning post. You did a beautiful job using my project as inspiration. I am so glad you love the gorgeous cool hues in this home. It truly is as serene as the ocean. An extra thanks to your readers who have such kind things to say about me and my designs. Sending hugs to you all! Tobi

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin