Quantcast

Spring 2010 - Freshly Squeezed Spaces with a Twist of Lime


Right about now I could use a little sunshine in my life.  But for now these sun-drenched runway styles and interior spaces put me into the mind of picking citrus in a beautiful Florida grove. Before you dismiss this little notion of a freshly squeezed space, consider the many shades of yellow...mustard, maize, marigold, and ochre.  Now consider orange...tangerine, amber, peach, and rust and combine them with neutrals such as gray, cream, black, and khaki.
 garments l-r: Rosa Chá (swim), Eli Tahari, BCBG

Sunkissed interiors combined with black, white, and gray lends more to the creation of a space that is more contemporary versus country. Also note the use of the clean, simple greek key pattern used on the accent pillows and the zebra print rug. The wallpaper also contains a simple, monochromatic diamond pattern that compliments, not competes with other design elements in the room.
 rooms David Jimenez  

 room via Southern Living, garment Chado Ralph Rucci

Orange, as seen below, is totally livable AND wearable when paired with neutrals.  Espresso, black, cream, and khaki allows orange to gracefully take center stageCheck out her this model's printed pumps...I'm utterly smitten and convinced that EVERYONE could use a little animal print in their lives!

 
room Kelly Hoppen, garment Dries Van Noten

The presence of orange in a neutral space can also bring warmth to an otherwise cold room.

 
I love to see when traditional furnishings are given an attitude adjustment. Orange gives these pieces an exciting new life and reveals a little about the personality of its owner.
room Horchow, photography Jean Randazzo
 
And I almost forgot to mention green in the midst of my citrus obsession.  Lime, dried herb, mint, kelly, olive, chartruese, I could go on forever. Below is one of my favorite color combinations using green.  This space is one of my top pics because it's gender neutral. Get a load of that lime green console...leaves me clutching my pearls!  My hubby would love this model's ensemble, exposed shoulders, mini-dress, fishnets, and wrapped with a bow...yowza!
room Taylor Howes, garment Andrew Gn

  So what are your thought on citrusy color palettes? Do they exist more in your home or in your wardrobe?


Comments
20 Comments

20 comments:

patti davis said...

Love yellow! In spring and summer I go to the market and buy tons of lemons and put them in a huge bowl in the middle of my table. From there, it empties as I make lemonade for everyone!

Erika Ward said...

Great idea Patti! Hmm, lemonade. Have you ever tried lining the glass rim with sugar?

Divamom-Act II said...

Love this post! You have great design sensibility. Can't wait for spring.

Destination Seaborn said...

So refreshing! All the spaces are beautiful! I love to wear these citrus colors in the summertime. The green is definately my favorite!
With great back to back posts like these, when are you getting any sleep?

Lisa

Dreams of Perfection said...

Swoon totally, I could live in every one of those rooms. And I love the swimsuits!! Lahv, lahv, lahv (in my Gaga voice).

ashlina {the decorista} said...

oh my goodness. this post rocks my world. love the yellow dresses. hurry up spring and get here!!!
:)

PS. there is an award for you at my blog
http://secretsofdomesticbliss.blogspot.com/2010/02/you-are-like-sunshine.html

Unknown said...

OH WOW.....your blog is GORGEOUS.....I really mean it!!! So stylish and really beautifully presented, how lovely!

I just came over from Ashlina's, I will be back :)

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Makes me want to just toss out all the stuff I have and start anew...$$$

Tammy@InStitches said...

Another blog inspired me with yellow last weekend and I went out and bought an itsy bitsy teeny weeny YELLOW bikini !! It was not polka dot but it had ruffles...

keely @ luxe + lillies said...

I have been looking at this post again and again today... for those of us in the chilly south... its just what we needed! Every last one of those spaces is simply to die for... as is everything else on you blog which I am totally obsessed with.

Jenn said...

Beautiful post! I soooo love yellow ... especially this time of year! That first bedroom is amazing.

Jo said...

Great citrus colors! I am particularly loving that desk with the orange drawers. That is right up my alley.

Donna @ Paisley and Perspective said...

I'm all over the lime green - my favourite colour - well OK "one" of my favourites :) - I don't know how anyone could have just one favourite :)

Lovely blog - found it through Aubrey & Lindsay's - will be following avidly .

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

This post made me want to eat an orange and drink simply lemon and limeade Ha! This post was nicely done! How long does it usually take for you to do a post?

Hautemocha7 said...

Hmmmm...Food for thought...Great post ...I have never seen these colours like this before...great mix!

Maria Killam said...

What a gorgeous post! I really loved your color astrologist comment :)

Audra said...

Love the colors, I have gold and yellow tones throughout my house but was thinking about changing it because I thought it was too much... maybe I'll think again or just figure out a way to tone it down. Anyhoo, I LOVE the green, it could be just the accent color to brighten up my dark kichen.

Royal Empress said...

I have 2 floors in a brownstone to decorate so this page will come in handy! Thanks for stopping by my page. See you around =)

Deanna Jackson said...

The orange is simply gorgeous...makes me think of summer and sand!

Unknown said...

Great post. I needed some eye candy to lift me up. Love the rooms with yellow!

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin