Quantcast

GENDER NEUTRAL KIDS SPACES


I live in the most amazing cul-de-sac filled with neighbors who are like family. At any given weeknight, our block looks like preschool on wheels. One of the families consist of a brother and sister who share a bedroom (by choice) and asked my assistance in designing their space. Of course I said yes. How could I resist a job where my kiddos are welcomed in the workplace?

Surfing around for a bit of inspiration, I was attracted most to hotel kids rooms. I didn't know these even existed!


Modern meets "Pooh?" Try to ignore the bedding, but embrace the atmosphere!

 


source unknown
Insert color SOMEWHERE, please!! Great start with the fresh green headboard and accent wall...

source unknown
The image above is not a hotel room, but just may offer the inspiration I need. How amazing is that canvas. I can just imagine a children's poem or prayer printed on it. 

Did I mention this will be completed on a bare bones budget? Talk about a real designer's challenge. Luckily we've got all hands on deck for this job...even the little ones.
Comments
19 Comments

19 comments:

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

A shared bedroom (boy/girl) does not have to be gender nuetral! I actually like the idea of claiming spaces! When I was younger my sister and I shared a room and we always said what was our side of the room! And I think is a great time to do this in this space. A girl side and a boy side

Check out this post from Stacy at Kids Stuff World
http://kidsstuffworld.com/2010/08/shared-spaces-boy-girl-rooms/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kidsstuffworld%2Fnew+%28Kids+Stuff+World%29

I think the Domino and Garnet Hill spaces were a great idea!

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Hey, what's wrong with the "Pooh" bedding? I grew up with Winnie the Pooh and stil love him to this day :) but I have to agree with L Duncan that a boy/girl room doesn't have to be gender neutral, each side can have it's own identity but yet cohesive to one another.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Sounds like a great project, kid's rooms are really the most fun to work on!! Creativity can reign, which is good when on a tight budget. Have fun...Janell

Erika Ward said...

I do like the idea of each side having its own identity. This was definitely a consideration in our initial consult. We're planning on getting the kids' ideas for sure!

jenna ♥ a little blue said...

i can't wait to see the end product! love the last inspiration room :)

Chedva @Rooms and Words said...

Sounds like an amazing challenge! i love the last pic the best.

Erica @ Decorica said...

That's exciting, plus it's not a far commute either. Dying to see the finished results.

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Those green spaces are perfectly gender neutral. Liking them lots!

Unknown said...

I think gender neutral rooms can be fun - but a mix & mash of both kids personalties combined into one room is so much more fun

casey at loft and cottage said...

That last room is amazing. The great green wall and that massive canvas make the space--and can be done so cheaply! Love kids' rooms because they can be done so inexpensively and creatively.

Talking with Tami said...

This room looks very fun and relaxing for the kids..nice!

Creategirl said...

What a fun project, I know you will do something amazing!! I have done a few projects like this and have to say I am not a fan of "gender neutral". I find a common color and work with that making each side flow with the other while making sure each child's identity is present! Can't wait to see pics!

PhotoStory Collections said...

Love, love, LOVE THIS! Especially the 3rd one in Club Med (Mexico). I think this will be a great project for you, can't wait to see what you come up with!

CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

Hotel kids' rooms? I never heard of such a thing either, but I love how none of them are syruppy sweet. Just a few colorful accents to lend them that playful vibe! Can't wait to see what you do!

CK said...

Hi! Been following along and reading all your stuff! Found this post regarding kids' rooms, and had to share:
http://madebygirl.blogspot.com/2010/08/room-for-childrenstylish-spacesvia-made.html

Enjoy!
CK of cknestinteriors.blogspot.com

Bernadette Merikle said...

I love that massive canvas. I did a pair of them for my house that had all the places that my hubby and I have been. I was thinking they wouldn't be very practical if we ever moved, but I can totally see doing an "all the places you'll go" gender neutral themed room for the day we have kids. Thanks for the inspiro!

Awesome. Can't wait to have kids now.

Bernadette
www.b3homedesigns.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

too much Amazing, i like so much, Thanks for sharing...
i have some Wonderful ideas for kids birthday party games...
Kids fairy land provide your kids birthday party games and birthday party characters and also provide clowns Miami for your kids birthday and you get kids birthday party ideas so enjoy the parties.

Mary-Ann said...

Wow, I didn't know that there's a kids' rooms in a hotel:) That's fantastic. I love the design of the room at the top. Simply gorgeous.

Ann@ fleece sheets

Manny~ Bean Bag chairs For Kids said...

Look at those kids room, aren't they awesome? :) I hope more hotels will provide kids rooms like these. Truly an inspiration for any kids room.

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin