Quantcast

SORORITY HOUSE MAKEOVERS


Memorial Day has passed and the break is over, but before the summer semester begins The Sorority House needs a face lift. This summer the sisters add a regional twist to their lackluster space and bring the resort "look" to them.

The Southern Sisters love to wear pink and green. Looking at the photo below, I would assume Mary McDonald designed this space for the modern Southern Prep who grew up wearing Lilly Pulitzer frocks, but now dresses in the modernity of Trina Turk.

The striped wall appears more sophisticated than cutesy thanks to the bold, black stripe and the classic artwork. The white upholstered furniture and white lacquered table unify the space and gives it an airy feeling. Accent pillows, green tufted ottomans, and fresh flowers pull the color scheme off the wall and complete the look.
 
 designer / mary mcdonald

The Ladies of the New England Sisterhood love the graphic impact of high gloss black. The painted doors, firebox, and the patent leather upholstered chair are indicative of their stylish nature and their love for Elle Decor mags. The look is best described as Coco Chanel meets Jonathan Adler's "Happy Chic."

To achieve this look, start with a simple (and shiny) black and white palette, choose a burst of color, then add pillows and a rug with a graphic pattern in the same color scheme.


 designer / jonathan adler

Lastly, the West Coast Sisterhood shows an appreciation of the classics. They pay homage to the Hollywood Regency style and use silhouettes and monograms for a bit of whimsy. They love to use chinoiserie prints in energetic colors for the purpose of keeping the space energetic and youthful...channel the refinement of Mary McDonald and the spirit of Betsy Johnson.

Take your time when building a space in this design.  The look you are going for is layered and collected, not contrived. Shop estate sales, antique stores, and consignment shops for bamboo furniture, Chinese porcelain, lucite items, and trellis patterned fabric and wallpaper.

designers / massuco warner miller / mary mcdonald

Out of the three style discussed, which "sisterhood" do you belong to?
Comments
28 Comments

28 comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

New England Prep = my kinda look. Great post!

Tonia Lee Smith said...

New England Prep for sure, hands down.

Anonymous said...

I love them all! I don't want to pick! But if I HAD to choose, I'd have to go with the New England Prep/Jonathan Adler room. So Crisp! Thanks for sharing Erika. This was great eye candy for a Monday morning.

Radostina // 79ideas.org said...

I love all of them... but my favorite is Southern Prep :)))) I'm a pink addicted ;))))
Great post!

xoxo,
raru

C.J. said...

have to join the New England Prep, thanks for the great pics.

Niki McNeill Brown said...

Even though I'm a southern girl to the bone, I LOVE that New England Prep room!

Heather said...

Of course, I choose the black and white happy chic palette first LOVE Jonathan Adler

and then the Southern girl...I just love WHITE! This is such a happy post!

Heather

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Probably New England, though a mix would be more accurate. I love this room by Jonathan Adler, the image and the he way he accessorized the built-in has inspired how I've dealt with some built-in challenges. It's interesting how the pieces on the shelves nearly become one large sculpture. Have a great one! Janell

Talking with Tami said...

All the rooms are so pretty! Very feminine and airy. I never got to pledge a sorority when I was in college, sigh lol

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Of course, Southern Prep! Lived in Georgia & Tennessee so long - but truly they are all lovely!

Blayne Macauley said...

I can't believe sorority houses look that good!!! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Love the seating area in the West Coast Prep section...

Erika Ward said...

@ Blayne, these images are not actual sorority houses, just my interpretation of regional styles.

Kiran said...

I really love them all; however, I must stick with the Pink and Green of Southern Prep. ;-)

So cute, Erika! Love this post! :-)

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

ooh these are all gorgeous!! love the last one especially!

Emily A. Clark said...

Who knew I was a New England prep kind of girl? :) Cute post.

DesignTies said...

I love the Hollywood glam look, but I have to go with the New England Sisterhood. LOVE the black doors, turquoise ottoman & curtains, nailhead trim on the chair, and pops of bright colour :-)

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hey there, sista!

Love us some west coast prep! That chinoiserie fabric is great!

Xoxo
Eddie + Jaithan

Linda @ theLENNOXX said...

What a great post! I love the first room, it definitely has a resort look to it, but a very chic and colorful one at that.

Marija said...

I think I'm new england prep - can't get enough shiny black gloss. though deep down, i'm of the midwest modern cowgirl - classic elegance that mixes mies and a midwestern farmhouse :)

SONDRA @ CHIC CHOCOLATE said...

These are beautiful rooms!

Laila @OnlyLaila said...

I really like New England Prep. I've done the black and white in my bedroom and alternate between orange and yellow bursts of color. I will try blue next.

Hello Lover... said...

Well I'm truly a Midwestern girl - but I'm absolutely going with West Coast Prep. I love the color choices, the monograms, and the little bits of chinoiserie!

Justice Fergie said...

Southern Prep all the way!

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

darling post, darling blog!!!

Welcome said...

Loving the New England Prep - my kinda room!! The prints, the textures, the blue, the black - that's me all the way!! I love a pop of pink or red but this room has it hands down...


XOXXO
KIki

charm home said...

Although I'm a Southern girl thru and thru I'm totally drawn to the West Coast Prep. It would have been so amazing to have my sorority house look like that. {swoon} -Cristi

Elaine said...

Southern Prep all the way! GREAT Happy post!

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin