Quantcast

Design Quote of the Week


"Good taste and design are by no means dependent upon money."
-David Hicks

This weekend I began working on a decorating plan for our new home. The plan consists of many items that currently are not in the budget, but it actually makes me even more determined to obtain the same look for less. There are numerous sites that offer excellent tutorials on sewing pinch-pleated curtains as seen below at Little Green Notebook to Darby's instructions on sewing a fixed roman shade (this one I can't wait to try).
The first step I take when tackling a design project is assessing my family's needs. Then, I take a complete inventory of items we currently have. For example, the Ikea lack wall shelf below was once in the twins' bedroom and now sits in my "refurbish" pile awaiting a makeover as seen here at design*sponge! Woven grass cloth, wood stain, and polycrylic clear sealant were used to transform this basic white shelf into a bohemian inspired wall accent.

And for the finale...who would've ever guesses this nightstand was once a pine-dresser eyesore from Ikea? The folks at Penny People Designs featured this Ikea hack for their weekend project challenge. The hardware and simple white drawer fronts give the appearance of a pricier mid-century piece. I'm also loving the subtle palette of this room with its cool gray walls and warm wood tones in the nightstand. Just in case you were wondering, the paint color is Classic Gray by Benjamin Moore (OC-23).
I can't wait to get started on these projects and will keep you posted on my progress complete with pictures and lessons learned along the way! I love seeing the ingenuity of others, adding my own personal touches, and more than anything else saving a few bucks, don't you? What inspiring DIY projects have you tried?

Comments
2 Comments

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, bet. You know I'm covering my bland Lack shelves as soon as I get a break from the madness. Love that idea!

Mimi Scarlett said...

Ahhh...the lack shelves!! Another DIY project to add to the list! Starting in September I plan to try a DIY project a weekend..promising not to move on to the next without finishing the first! Keep the ideas coming..thanks for the inspiration!

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin