Quantcast

Tastemaker Tuesday: Sheila Bridges


Sheila Bridges:
Interior Designer
Furniture Designer
Author
Host of Design Show Designer Living (Fine Living Network)

I was first introduced to Sheila Bridges by reading Domino Magazine when they featured her Hudson Valley, New York weekend home in May 2007.



Her "Harlem Toile de Jouy," wallpaper design (seen above in her kitchen and a closer view below) received some critiscm for its adaptation of the toile design which orginated in France in the 1700's. Traditional toile contains idyllic scenes of the countryside, picnics, and various other pastoral images. Hardly intended to be controversial and in my opinion innovative, she was quoted by StudioPrintworks regarding the inspiration for the design, " Harlem toile de Jouy tells a rich yet satirical story about African American life through the often distorted lens of the media. I designed it to remind people of many of the stereotypes that have historically been and continue to be associated with African Americans living in rural parts of the country as well as urban areas like Harlem. " Perfectly stated!


I am also inspired by her ability to mix antiques and modern pieces and her fearless use of color in her designs mystifies me. A perfect example is her own apartment located in Harlem, New York. The New York Social Diary toured her Afro-NeoClassical (if there is such a thing) and featured her in their Decorator Series.



In her study, she hired artists to paint quotes from her favorite books on the walls. Love this!




Her book entitled Furnishing Forward: A Practical Guide to Furnishing for a Lifetime is currently on my wish list.

Hope you enjoyed this post as much as I did writing it...if you by chance know Ms. Bridges, please tell her how much I adore her and would give anything to personally meet her! I would be honored to sit at her feet and listen to ANYTHING she has to say! Until next time...Take Good Care.

Images Credits: Hudson Valley Home, Domino Magazine Harlem Apartment, New York Social Diary.

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin