14 comments:
- Lori @ Lori May Interiors said...
-
I really think you do a great job on your videos! I would love to do more DIY projects, but I am a bit intimidated. Not sure why, when I have done them, they have turned out pretty well.
Sometimes I think I feel intimidated by all of the fabulous DIY projects that I see on other blogs. It is just amazing to me what people like Kate at Centsational Girl can do!
But, I know that the only way to get better at DIY is to do more DIY projects, so that is my goal for the next yr!
Can't wait for the workshop on Saturday! See you for the afternoon session!
Lori -
February 1, 2011 at 5:15 PM
- Kate Riley said...
-
Hello my friend! You are so well spoken on camera, I hope you'll be doing even more of these videos! Great topic choice. I'm not intimidated by a lot of DIY projects because I am always on a quest to teach myself new things, it's just part of my DNA.
There are times when I leave something to a true craftsman or expert (installing the risers on my stairs) and there are times I attempt new things and it turns out like *crap*. Then I just don't blog about it! I'm inspired by those who do, that's very courageous and so human.
But like you said, achievement is in the trying and learning something new. If you don't at least try, you won't ever master anything. That's my attitude!
xo
Kate -
February 1, 2011 at 6:15 PM
- Jason Barnes said...
-
Wow Erica that's the story of my life, that statement applies to a broad variety of things. U inspire me:-)
-
February 1, 2011 at 6:57 PM
- Angela said...
-
I'm intimidated for the same reasons you are. I don't have a lot of time to spend on them and when they don't turn out right, I feel that I've wasted valuable time. I'm also a perfectionist. I'll redo something over and over unless someone stops me. I don't tend to view other people's work in the same light as my own.
-
February 1, 2011 at 7:25 PM
- Anonymous said...
-
Ha! I'm glad you had a good laugh - everyone did, including me! I think the key to DIY is patience and I definitely don't have it, which explains why mine never turn out quite right. I totally agree that they are good learning experiences. Like one of my commenters said, most DIY projects require a couple of tries to get them right. P.S. You are too cute in these videos! xo
-
February 1, 2011 at 8:23 PM
- Michelle said...
-
Erika, I'm honestly intimidated by power tools, I want to work on all these projects, but I'm scared I'm going to cut off my fingers. lol. So, I'm sticking to painting for now.
-
February 2, 2011 at 12:25 AM
- Erika Ward said...
-
Hey Lori!
I can't wait to see you on Saturday. You are going to feel like you can conquer the world when Claire and I are done with you all!
Kate,
Love you attitude! You truly inspire me and many others. I appreciate all you do!
Jason,
WOW! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. What a pleasant surprise ;-)
Angela,
Start small and share your photos! We can always help each other fix our mistakes! -
February 2, 2011 at 9:20 AM
- Dayka Robinson said...
-
Great video, E!
-
February 2, 2011 at 10:54 AM
- AprilAries said...
-
Hi Erika. I found my way here via your Houzz post. I just love your blog!
I've been doing-it-myself for about 10 years now and have definitely learned alot and made many, many mistakes. I have painted and repainted every room in my house anywhere from 3-6 times and have taken on various other projects from refinishing furniture to installing and texturing drywall. I've had friends and family tell me they think I'm very talented and say they could never do it. Every time I tell them I am no more talented than they are. Being a SAHM of 2 kids, I just have more time to devote to projects and research. Almost all of my project ideas have come from magazines and blogs like this. Many think they do not have the patience for projects, but in my experience, if you know what you want to do and can picture the end result, once you get started, it doesn't take that long to complete many projects. But, if you're like me, and can only vaguely envision how you want your room or project to look, it can take hours of researching, which for me, takes more time than the actual project itself. I always tell people, if I can do it, so can they. And I've found the longer a project takes to complete, the more rewarding the results are. It's okay if part of your house is a construction zone, as long as the rest of it is tidy and clean, visitors won't mind the mess and it gives them something to talk about. I say go for it! You may be amazed at what you can create in such a short time. You just have to start! -
February 3, 2011 at 12:36 AM
- Quintel said...
-
I am soo intimidated by them! I could just imagine the DIY nightmares now...LOL! needless to say, great topic. I'll just watch you guys do the DIY stuff and continue to support. :)
-
February 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM
- Kim Myles said...
-
(First, love your blog and videos - great conversations!)
I live for DIY projects/made them part of the focus of my show 'Myles of Style' on HGTV, but let me tell you that my team and I always had to work out a prototype before filming.
Things NEVER work the way you expect them to, so the creative process of fine tuning becomes key (wish we showed more of that on the network, actually!).
Anyway, we shouldn't be scared of the unexpected or 'failure' when we're making stuff, because some of the best results come from what I like to call 'happy accidents'. -
February 8, 2011 at 11:30 AM
- Yetunde said...
-
I live for DIY projects! I love DIY projects because earlier on I learned that there's really not that much I can't do as long as I research it first. The only DIY that intimidates me is electrical work (because electricity is not visible.) A lot of times though, I underestimate how much time and effort the project requires. I get the vision and jump right in...only to realize there are about a million steps between vision and completion.
Once again, you read my mind (Or I read yours?) I just started doing videos on my blog today, focusing on some diy ideas and salvaging things from the thrift store, etc. Tonight I set out to shoot a video of re-purpurposing a lamp base. I learned the exact lesson Kim mentioned above that you have to prototype and work out the kinks first. I got really frustrated and I'm not even sure that project will make it online, lol.
I'm SLOWLY learning to take my time because I would really hate to rush through the project just to have it be ruined because I didn't want to take the necessary steps. -
February 8, 2011 at 10:09 PM
- Anonymous said...
-
No! Not at all! I love DIY and the mistakes we make in DIY DEFINITELY make us stronger and wiser for the next time!
I cannot wait for your DIY projects. I've been praying for a Black source for DIY and DIY blogs. Yay, I'll now have one!
(I love your blog) -
February 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM
- Anonymous said...
-
No, I am not intimated by DIY projects. But, I only undertake projects with a reasonable timeline. FT Job/ FT Grad Student/ Trying to balance single life/work/play is the major obstacle in completing DIYs. The most important key is to know when you are in over your head. I successfully completed 2 bathrooms in my home. But, undertaking the Master B/R and office was too much. I hired a contractor. Now, I'm ready to tackle the hallway and second guest bedroom. We'll see how it goes. Love the blog, too!
-
February 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM



