Quantcast

4 WAYS TO REGAIN DECORATING CONFIDENCE


Have you ever started to decorating project and somehow lost your momentum? Did you start with inspiration images, how-to instructions, and a strong will to see the project through yet still manage to lose your design direction?

Get back on track with these 4 ways to regain your decorating confidence:


1. Re-evaluate Your Expectations.
So you want your bedroom to look EXACTLY like the one you coveted in Elle Decor?  *NEWSFLASH* Unless you have the same floor plan and your house sits on the exact same lot, your space will be different.  For example, when looking at a photo, it's impossible to accurately gauge the room's dimensions.  If your room is smaller than the inspiration room, there's no way you can pack same exact furniture in your room.
Also consider what direction the rooms face. The paint color in the inspiration photo will look different in your space if your room faces north and the inspiration room faces the south.  Keep these variables in mind so you don't feel like a failure if your finished design is not a carbon copy of your inspiration room.

photography / manny rodriguez

2. Recount a Past Victory/Completed Project.
You build confidence with each decorating project you complete. If you haven't completed one, then let this be the first.  With each project there opportunities to learn from your successes and your failures. The old adage rings true, practice does make perfect.

design / 2010 dc design house
3. Reject Fear.
Don't let fear paralyze you from obtaining your design goals. I always ask myself, "What's the worst that could happen?" In fact, what I image to be the worst never happens. If it ever does, I am prepared because I've already answered the question. Try hard not to let the fear of failure prevent you from doing the things you really want to do. This quote from J.K. Rowling may be a little extreme for this point, but it is still relevant.   "But it is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all--in which case, you fail by default."


 design / 2010 dc design house

4. Reach for the Familiar.
Until you gain decorating confidence in yourself, pretend to be someone else. Who will you need to be in order to get the job done?  When in a jam, call upon your "inner" Tobi Fairley, Sarah Richardson, or whomever you admire.  What would they do? Think like a pro and you'll be a step further in designing like one!
 
 
 photography / manny rodriguez

These are just 4 suggestions to help your regain decorating confidence. I'm sure there are many more. How have you found encouragement to continue decorating a room when you wanted to give up?
 

Comments
18 Comments

18 comments:

Anna White said...

Erika..these are fantastic pointers...and ever so true.
I usually find when I lose my mojo..I dont go anywhere near the project till I feel inspired and creative again..otherwise it just ends up a project filled with fustration and fluff ups..lol
Your posts are always so helpful...thanks lovely x

Sharon Brown said...

Excellent post! Your window treatments look very nice too. That is a lot of fabric!

Sharon

Andrea said...

Amazing view!Lovely.

Emily A. Clark said...

Great post--It's amazing how many people get frustrated and just give up altogher.

Tammy@InStitches said...

Doing a room from an inspiration photo sounds like fun but I bet it makes it more challenging if you can't find everything. Great advice !

Heather said...

i am loving that last photo...ok, im taking your advice today, i gave up on my daughters room, but am going to get back at it today...so overwhelming sometimes! have a good day.

Erica @ Decorica said...

I especially love the first point - it's so true. The layout of the room could be so different. -erica

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Are you talking about me erika?! Just kidding. These are some good pointers! I've come to realize that an inspiration pic is just that, INSPIRATION!

Niki McNeill Brown said...

Great advice - as usual! That last room has a view to die for, and I love that wrap around headboard :)

Redesign Diva said...

Ditto what nikimac said about the last pic...I am supposed to be redoing a room in my home, but I stopped because i am moving in about two months...does that count? I had it all planned out too!..I may go ahead and channel my inner Candice Olsen...lol

Great post

SONDRA @ CHIC CHOCOLATE said...

Love this room! The view is breath taking!

Unknown said...

great suggesstions, its easy to sidetracked and frusterarted when porjects arn't going your way. I agree ith you, you have to be realistic with your expectations. When I get tired of a current project, I reach for inspriation from designers and regroup.

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Great tips, but do you have tips for procrastinators?
The last photo....I think that I can use my headboard, I bought a while back off craigslist, http://chicmodernvintage.blogspot.com/2010/02/find-of-day-table-and-chairs.html

Talking with Tami said...

The last room is gorg omg! Im thinking of redoing my bedroom as well.

Michelle said...

Great post! I have a couple of unfinished projects because I ran out steam. I going to pick up my paint brush and finish them.

Michelle said...

Erika, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I really love the topics on your blog, I've been "lurker" for months now. :)

ashlina {the decorista} said...

fantastic advice sweet girl! love it. and taking notes too.

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

great post! I just love your blog too.

xo,
cristin

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin