Quantcast

Lofty Ideas


"In my view, no space without natural light is worthy of human occupation. "
- John Saladino

One of my favorite characteristics of a loft space are the floor to ceiling windows. They flood the entire space with sunlight and virtually bring the outdoors indoors. My second favorite characteristic is the open floor plan. A design dilemma for many, I love an open floor plan because of it's endless possibilities...it is essentially a blank canvas!

{designed by Chelsea Atelier Architect, PC}

{designed by valerie pasquiou interiors + design, inc}

I found a great three minute video from Metropolitan Home on How to Live Well in a Loft. They offer the following design advice:
  • Use lighting to divide your space. For example, a chandelier over the dining room table shows a differentiation between rooms and its usage.
  • Use color to divide your communal spaces
  • In a windowless room use a bold wallpaper pattern or large art piece as a focal point
  • Layer rugs for texture and visual interest. Also great for dividing your space
  • Use pocket doors in lieu of hinged doors
  • Install floor to ceiling storage to take advantage of soaring ceiling
Below the video in its entirety. Enjoy, if you live in a loft space, take good notes! For more design advice on tackling loft spaces, please email me: erika@blulabelbungalow.com. Ciao!


Comments
3 Comments

3 comments:

Anna Caroline {Design Studio 210} said...

Hey there!

My first time in here. I really like your blog design :)

These photos are amazing. Iam still dreaming about 'my' loft ;)

/Design Studio 210
Anna Caroline

Erika Ward said...

Thanks, Anna Caroline! Check out tomorrow's post about a great loft I visited this past weekend!

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

Great tips....I think using lighting to divide spaces is a fab idea.....wish it was more affordable to add different lighting though.
Jen Ramos
'Cards & Prints You'll Love...'
www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com
--

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin