Quantcast

TASTEMAKER TUESDAY: INTERVIEW WITH LEE KLEINHELTER


I love to hear stories of successful women in design who balance work, family, and their social lives and make it look completely effortless. Lee Kleinhelter is a perfect example.  She has been a woman on my radar even before I featured her work back in January of this year. Owner of Pieces, a high profile home boutique here in Atlanta, she has made quite a name for herself as a purveyor of vintage finds. Pieces carries a range of furniture and lighting from the 1940's through the 1980's that have been upholstered, painted, rewired, or reworked in a way that transforms them into unique treasures.

The night I finally met Lee was at a Pieces event featuring Jonathan Adler's pottery collection where I professed my love of her work and admiration for all she has accomplished.
As Part 2 of Lee's original feature, she graciously agreed to an interview with BluLabel Bungalow. In this interview, I asked about her early beginnings, personal style, family, and her greatest piece of advice. Enjoy!

How has your Southern upbringing influenced you as a designer?
Actually it's not about a region but more about a person. More than the South, I was influenced by my Southern mother.  She was always pointing out interesting Southern architecture. Growing up in Greensboro, NC her love for old homes really shaped me. Probably my first major influence (in that way) was Otto Zenke, a famous architect/designer, who built much of Irving Park. My early appreciation for the quality of work in that era has really stuck with me. I continue to love design that is built to last.



With a husband, two children, and a business that has the demands of a “third” child, how do you manage to keep it all together?
It’s a juggling act that's not easy because I like order. Kevin is an amazing husband and father and he is a huge part of keeping everything on track. Our businesses are integrated into our lives so that's not only fun...it's helpful. As a woman, we sometimes feel like we have to do everything, and of course we can't. Kevin and I are very much partners in parenting and I'm thankful for that.

Please describe an average day in your life.
Honestly, there really isn’t an average day. I'm serious about that. I think that's why I am so in love with what I do.

The blog world went bananas over your feature in Lonny Magazine and Atlanta Homes and Lifestyle Magazine. How does it feel to get instant feedback from a blog audience when reading the post comments?
The blogging community has been so supportive and it truly makes all the hard work worthwhile when people understand or appreciate what you do. I love that there is an outlet for people to express what they enjoy in design. And wow, there are some amazing bloggers out there who are extremely talented. You all inspire me!
Define your signature style.
Fresh, clean modern approach using updated vintage finds in an unexpected way. Having said that, I think that description is probably used a lot for designers. I guess what sets me apart is that I layer and I'm a ferocious editor.

With Fall’s pending arrival, what changes will you make to your home’s décor?
Our home is always changing. (an occupational hazard) I obviously keep the main pieces but I'm always rotating chairs or other finds in and out of our space.  I like our home to have little clutter. In the store we are currently having a big pillow sale (which I never do) so that I can transform the look of the store for Fall. Can't wait for the new. We are changing it up and completely inspired right now. 
 What are some of your favorite finishing touches when designing a room?
There is really no set answer or formula for me. I just know when it’s the right balance. My favorite moment is when we install the "wow" piece. (like a fabulous light fixture that anchors the room) I don’t add a lot of smalls. I think each piece needs to be incredible and make a statement.
What is your ideal work environment?
Very clean and ORDER. I cannot handle stacks or messes. I like everyone that I hire to have the same OCD qualities. It's true...

When not designing I am…
Always designing. Otherwise I am playing with Holden.

Highest Compliment…
30 pages in Lonny was extremely flattering.

Lucky Break…
Working for Dan Carithers.

Eureka Moment…
Thinking its around the corner!

Looking forward to…
What’s next...stay tuned.

Best Advice…
Don’t spend it all in one place. (However, I always seem to blow it on the shoes!)


*Thank you again Lee for sharing your passion with our readers! A special thanks to Kyle Jones Tibbs of And She Told Two Friends Communications and to Susan of Pieces.




image courtesy via Pieces, Inc, David Naugle for NaugleWorks, House Beautiful, Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles Magazine, Lonny Magazine, and Erika Ward for BluLabel Bungalow
Comments
23 Comments

23 comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Erika, this interview was so engaging and inspiring. You write so well and asked all the right questions. Consider me fully inspired for the day. No scrap that. The week!

P.S. I still can't get over how fabulous you look in that black and yellow dress.

lesapeamusings.blogspot said...

Thank you so much for featuring Lee, she is fabulous. I really love her energy.

Lisa xx

Erica @ Decorica said...

She does have an awesome style. Such a cute name for her store too!

Kristen said...

looooove her style! great interview :)

jvw home said...

I've admired Lee for yrs now b/c I've seen her different homes in a few magazines...
her style is amazing and my goal right now is to be a "ferocious editor" with my personal home too....
thanks for sharing....

jvw home said...

Erika,
Thanks also for stopping by my blog today!
Have a wonderful day....

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

Loved this interview with Lee! She is so inspiring being a mother, designer, business owner...she shows us all how to do it and do it well!!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

What an amazing talent, I'm completely inspired! Thanks! Janell

Kelli Flournoy said...

Wow, what an phenomenal woman...never thought I would be a fan of a moosehead, until now...tres chic!!!!

Heather said...

She has a great sense of style. I wish I lived near Atlanta so I could go check out her shop!!!
Great name for a store, too!
wonderful job, Erika!

Milk and Honey Home said...

What a great interview! I love Lee and I love your blog. I love that one of my favorite designers and entrepreneurs just happens to be an Atlantan, too.

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Such a great interview. I'm like Milk&Honey lots of interior decorators and designers in ATL doing their thing.

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Great interview, Erika! Love her editing! I'm trying to work on mine.

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

Great interview - thanks!! I need to scoot by that store.
-Trish

luxe + lillies said...

Such a great interview Erika! Not only do I love Pieces, but I fully and completely adore Lee's design style, so clean and classy. Her interview was inspiring, and so real... loved it!

Anonymous said...

Great post!! (JP)

Debbie@Vintage Scout Interiors said...

YAY! Thanks for featuring her! One of the biggest complements I've ever received is when a customer who moved to Dayton from Atlanta told me our store reminded her of Pieces.
Debbie
www.vintagescout.com

Kerrisdale Design Inc said...

Great interview Erika! Love Lee and the concept behind her store was so inspiring to me when I had mine {re: rejuvinating vintage pieces}. Thanks for this post!

Karla

charm home said...

This was such a great interview. I love her style and her store.

LindsB said...

woah, what a great interview! She is so inspiring!

pve design said...

Erika,
Wow, thanks for your comment this morning. Where have I been and not visited your fantastic blog - I know there was a higher power connecting us!
Super interview. How thrilled to pieces would I be to have my home looking that stellar. First let me clean my piles:{
pve

CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

I have been waiting all week to get a free few minutes to catch up on your blog Erika ever since seeing that you interviewed Lee earlier in the week! Great questions-Lee seems very down to earth. Of course her family is adorable! Meanwhile I don't know who this Otto Zenke is, but he has a cool name and I need to find out!

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Love this interview and store. Lee seems darling.

xo,
cristin

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin