Quantcast

DESIGNER VS. DECORATOR...THE NEVERENDING DEBATE


Brian Patrick Flynn via HGTV

Brian Patrick Flynn a.k.a. Decor Demon is the newest contributor to HGTV's blog, Design Happens. Today he posed the question, "Designer vs. Decorator: What's in a Name?" Leave it to the new guy to start a heated discussion.

He interviewed 10 of his colleagues, yours truly included, and asked our opinion on the Designer vs. Decorator debate. Honestly, I was quite surprised at the various responses from the interviewees. But I also know that the 10 of us could provide only a small sample of what people really feel about the topic.

I know you have an opinion. Head over to read his article and share your thoughts in his comments section.  This should be interesting!
Comments
6 Comments

6 comments:

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

This is a heated and interested debate that I encounter quite a bit...Janell

Tonia Lee Smith said...

I agree it makes for heated debate, yet there are underlying reasons that no one likes to address.

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Headed over to hear what you all had to say!

xo,
cristin

PS - having a giveaway - drop by to enter to win a custom window shade.

###### said...

totally enjoyed.

ashlina {the decorista} said...

he is amazing. i kinda have a crush on him. guys that know design. LOVE!

Unknown said...

Great article Erika! I was shocked to see how many actually agreed. I loved the response "I don't care what they call me, just as long as they call me!" haha so true!
I can honestly say that early in my career I hated being called a decorator. I started out at a furniture store and every woman on the floor was deemed a decorator to boost sales-including myself. But I was the one with the degree. I had all the necessary skills to execute the designs so all the women came to me. Buried under tremendous pressure and workload I came to loathe the term. Especially since I did all the work and never got paid for it.

Fast forward twelve years and I seriously don't care. I have an incredible portfolio, and awesome references. I don't care if they call me pillow fluffer, decorina, or as my father would say Inferior Designator. As long as I accomplish what they were wanting and they are stupidly happy with the results, I am a happy decorina!
xo
amanda

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin